- Mar 2-15 – Course Registration for 2015-2016
- Mar 3 – College Credit in the High School Night, 7pm
- Mar 4 – Renton Tech Advising, Lunch/Tutorial, Career Center
- Mar 10 – 9th Grade Parent Night, 7pm
- Mar 11 – CWU Admitted Students Workshop, Tutorial, Lecture Hall
- Mar 11 – Northwest Youth Corps, tutorial, Career Center
- Mar 24 – Band Concert, 7pm
- Mar 31 – Choir Concert, 7pm
- Apr 17 – PTA Senior Art Award – Submissions due
- Apr 18 – PROM, EMP 8pm
Yes, Bears, it’s that time of year… Time to register for next year’s classes! Don’t forget to register on Skyward to ensure that you have a say in what classes you take next year.
Registration opens Monday, March 2 and closes Sunday, March 15. This is the time to be talking with current teachers, counselor, and parents about classes for next year. Registration forms are due in APP on Monday, March 16.
Looking for more information on making your decision on classes? Check out these resources:
|Science Course Catalog/Descriptions|
|Video Productions Information and Student Work|
|Tahoma’s Academic Programs|
This past Friday and Saturday Bear Metal competed in their first robotics tournament for the 2015 season. Thirty-two teams from around the Pacific Northwest competed game entitled “Recycle Rush.” After the qualification rounds, Bear Metal allied with the Kent-Meridian Robotics and Lion Robotics from Auburn Mountainview to battle through the quarterfinals and semifinals.
Despite the team’s strong alliance and strong showing in the finals, they lost their final match and were subsequently given an award for second place. They were also given the award for industrial design, which is an award that celebrates form and functionality in robot design. Finally, Darren Collins was nominated by Tahoma students for the “Woodie Flowers Award.” To earn this honor, Tahoma students created and submitted an essay that recognized the outstanding job that Darren has done by challenging Bear Metal in engineering and design.
Congratulations to the Tahoma students who placed at this weekend’s National Qualifying Tournament for the Western Washington district at Auburn Riverside High School, which qualifies them for the National Tournament in Dallas, TX later this year.
- Jayaram Ravi- 1st place in International Extemporaneous Speaking
- Luke Johnson- 1st place in Humorous Interpretation
Jayaram has now qualified to Nationals a total of four consecutive years! He is the first Tahoma student to have achieved this distinction. Based on his overall works and effort, he was also selected as district student of the year. I would like to also mention that this was Luke’s first year on the team. Please congratulate both of them when you get the chance.
Congratulations to the Tahoma High School Forensics Team who were named academic state champions by the Washington Interscholastic Activities Association. Students earned an average GPA of 3.795 over 34 students!
Tahoma’s Robotics Team, is ramping up for our initial competition this Friday and Saturday at Auburn Mountainview High School. At this event, Bear Metal will be competing in the 2015 FIRST Robotics challenge, “Recycle Rush” with 31 other teams from Washington and Oregon. Events throughout the Pacific Northwest will continue for the next 5 weeks where 153 teams in Washington and Oregon will compete for 64 openings in the District Championship event at Eastern Washington University. The top teams from the District Championship will advance on to the World Championship in St. Louis. This event is free and open to the public.
A live stream of this weekend’s event can be watched at either of these locations.
(Streaming is scheduled to begin at 11:00 am on Friday)
Event and Match Schedules are linked from the website below. (We are team 2046)
FRC Spyder is a mobile app which tracks team and competition results for each event throughout the season.
Bear Metal’s 2015 Competition Schedule:
- February 26th – 28th: Week 1 District Event – Auburn Mountainview High School
- March 13th – 15th: Week 3 District Event – Mount Vernon High School
- April 1st – 4th: District Championship Event @ Reese Court Eastern Washington University, Cheney
- April 22nd -25th: World Championships @ Edward Jones Dome, St. Louis
To read more about these programs, go here: http://tahomahigh.com/students/academics/academic-programs/
Seven Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) members competed at the Midwest Region Winter Conference February 10, and earned 11 awards.
- Ashley Edliq, 5th place Accounting I
- Ashley Pettit, 2nd place Job Interview; 2nd place Business Communications
- McKinzie Millard, 4th place Introduction to Business
- Ashley Lewis, 5th place Sports and Entertainment Management; 5th place Business Calculations
- Soleia Weisenberger, 1st place Help Desk; 5th place Sports and Entertainment Management (teamed with Lewis)
- Preston Fowler/Amanda Soushek, 2nd place Banking and Financial Systems; 2nd place Hospitality Management; 2nd place Sports and Entertainment Management
Additionally, Washington Business Week ran a “minicamp,” and members competed to produce and market the best original product. The team of Preston Fowler, Amanda Soushek, and McKinzie Millard won first place overall for their “coffee maker in a car” invention.
All members qualified to compete at the State Conference in April, 2015. Way to go FBLA Bears!!!